Federal Work-Study Students

Need-Based Federal Work-Study Employment

Federal Work-Study Employment placement begins in August. Because positions are limited, students applying late may not receive a placement. Actual earnings depend upon hours worked. Typically, recipients work ten hours weekly, with an hourly pay rate of $7.25. Earnings are paid monthly directly to students.

NOTE: anticipated earnings do not defer payment of semester charges.

The University staff member who hires a student to work must complete the Student Employment Action Form. The completed Student Employment Action Form should be returned to Lisa Myers in the Office of Student Financial Aid.

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides job opportunities for students who demonstrate financial need. FWS eligibility is determined by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and is awarded as part of the student’s financial aid package. Earnings are paid directly to the student each month as work is performed; therefore, Federal Work Study awards are not subtracted from charges in the Office of Financial and Accounting Services.

The Office of Student Financial Aid coordinates all need-based Federal Work-Study employment opportunities. Placement may be on-campus or in non-profit agencies within the Winston-Salem area through the Community Service and America Reads and Counts programs.

Students who receive Work-Study awards should complete the Job Preference Form enclosed with their award notification and return it to the Student Employment Coordinator at the Office of Student Financial Aid. Job assignments and additional information are mailed in late July. You may also e-mail your job preferences or any questions concerning Federal Work-Study to Lisa Myers, Student Employment Coordinator, at myersla@nullwfu.edu.

Resources and forms

North Carolina NC-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate

U.S. Federal W-4 Tax Form

Form-I-9 2013

Direct Deposit
Students are encouraged to have their pay directly deposited into their bank account(s). The Payroll Office can deposit the pay into any U.S. bank or financial institution. They can deposit into a maximum of three accounts. Forms and instructions are available on WIN.

Allegacy Credit Union
Students employed by WFU are eligible for membership with Allegacy Federal Credit Union. They can become a member by opening a savings account with only a $5 deposit. Information and details can be found on the Allegacy website.